Everyone needs an extra set of hands sometimes. Whether it’s unpacking boxes after a move, mowing a lawn or cleaning out a garage, having someone to help you can make any job a little easier. Hire a U.S. veteran or active duty veteran who needs a little extra income.
Did you know that we have over 450 unemployed or underemployed U.S. military veterans living right here in the Concho Valley, many of whom served one or more deployments to the middle east.
Did you also know that for most of these Veterans, there is no military retirement pension to fall back on. And unless they came back home with some other type of service related medical/mental disability, they do not qualify for VA medical benefits. They were gratefuly given their DD-214 (discharge papers) and a hand salute when they departed their voluntary military service.
Did you also know that we have active duty military living in San Angelo who are living on below POVERTY level wages. Many of these veterans have families who are struggling every day to make ends meet. Many also have found it necessary to apply for government benefits such as food stamps just to survive.
I’ll bet that you didn’t know there is a San Angelo chapter of HirePatriots, a nonprofit organization who mission is to create a nationwide employment safety net for US veterans. HirePatriots is represented by veteran owned and patriotic businesses across America. Each has their own HirePatriots site and job board for their area. HeiserHouse’s owner, Scott Heiser, a 10-year U.S. Army veteran, is the Texas Ambassador for HirePatriots in the Concho Valley and maintains a job board at http://hirepatriots.com/sanangelotx.
I’ll bet you didn’t know that you can be a part of the employment safety net for U.S. veterans right here in the Concho Valley. HirePatriots ONE DAY job board is an opportunity for you to hire a veteran for one day to help you get things done around your home or business. So many of us have long to-do lists and we don’t know where to turn when it comes to small jobs—things that don’t require a contractor or professional service.
Here are 45 tasks you can hire a veteran to do. Want help with any of them?
- Rake leaves
- Organize the garage
- Set up for a yard sale
- Clean the pool and empty the skimmers
- Organize photo albums (digital or paper)
- Take the trash to the dump
- Assemble furniture
- Put lights up for the holidays
- Move furniture
- Mow the lawn
- Weed the garden
- Clean out the attic/basement
- Paint a room
- Organize the pantry
- List unwanted furniture on sites like Craigslist or eBay
- Hand out flyers around town for a new business
- Wash the windows
- Water the lawn and garden
- Clean out the gutters
- Housesit while you’re on vacation
- Clean up after a party
- Prepare a guest room before family visits
- Clean the boat
- Organize the shed
- Set up for an event (chairs, food table, drinks)
- Teach basic computer skills
- Organize a library of books
- Enter data into an Excel doc
- Assist with estate sorting after a death
- Help with interior decorating
- Set up outdoor furniture after the winter
- Hold a sign for an event
- Direct traffic in a parking lot during an event
- Organize a closet
- Organize and file papers
- Wrap presents around the holidays
- Chop firewood
- Clean and organize gardening and yard tools
- Bartend at a party
- Spread mulch on flower beds
- Open and close the pool
- Set up yard toys (trampoline, swing set, etc.)
- Organize office documents
- Pack and unpack after a move
- Move furniture
If you want it done right the first time hire a veteran. Go to http://HirePatriots.com/SanAngeloTX, click on the ‘ONE DAY JOBS’ button and add your job following the simple instructions. Combine several short tasks, if necessary, to fill a 6 to 8 hour day.