Hire Patriots
760 730-3734
Call us for more details!
Mail us today
/ News And Blogs / Subscribe to RSS Feed

Montgomery GI Bill

Posted by on March 27, 2012 in Uncategorized

The Montgomery GI Bill will pay out a maximum of $51,000 in education and training for US military and veterans. The Bill is set to pay out $1426 for 36 months. And it is adjusted on the first of October every year. – (“36 months of benefits” refers to academic months.  This means you have up to 8 semesters (four years) of traditional academic education.

The Montgomery GI Bill can be used for:

1) A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college

2) Business, Technical or Vocational courses.

3) Apprenticeships

4) Flight training

5) Licensing and Certification courses

Eligibility: You qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill if:

1) You contribute $100 a month for the first 12 months you are in active duty, or qualify under VEAP conversion.

2)You have completed High School or have an equivalency certificate before you apply for benefits.

3)You have served at least 2 years on active duty.

To be eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill you must meet the following two requirements, no matter when or how you originally become eligible for MGIB.

  • Character of discharge. Your discharge must be “honorable.” — “Under honorable conditions” and “general” discharges don’t establish eligibility for MGIB.

Important Note: If you weren’t eligible previously with your first period of active duty, you may have a second chanceby using a later period of active duty.

  • Completed High School: You must obtain a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before you apply for benefits. Completing 12 hours toward a college degree before you apply for benefits also meets this requirement.

In addition to the requirements above, you must meet requirements from one of the four categories below. (If you entered active duty before July 1, 1985, skip Category 1. You may only qualify under Categories 2, 3, or 4.)


  • Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985
  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for first 12 months
  • Continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty and served 4 years (“2 by 4” Program)


  • Entered active duty before January 1, 1977
  • Served at least 1 day between 10/19/84 and 6/30/85, and stayed on active duty through 6/30/88, (or 6/30/87 if you entered Selected Reserve within 1 year of leaving active duty and served 4 years)
  • On 12/31/89, you had entitlement left from Vietnam Era GI Bill


  • Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or II
  • On active duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91,
  • OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93,
  • OR voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program
  • Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1200


  • On active duty on 10/9/96 AND you had money remaining in a VEAP account on that date AND you elected MGIB by 10/9/97
  • OR entered full-time National Guard duty under title 32, USC, between 7/1/85, and 11/28/89 AND you elected MGIB during the period 10/9/96, through 7/8/97
  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1200 lump-sum contribution

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if DOD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called “kickers”). You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be less, in some cases, and longer under certain circumstances.

You can apply by filling out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits. Call toll free 1-888-GI-BILL-1 for more information.

Eligibility Time Frame

Benefits under the MGIB generally end 10 years from the date of the veteran’s last discharge or release from active duty, but some extenuating circumstances qualify for extensions. A veteran with a discharge upgraded by the military will have 10 years from the date of the upgrade.

Original Enrollment Process

The following details explain how an individual is originally enrolled for the Montgomery GI Bill.

  • Enlisted veterans are automatically enrolled at their first duty station (i.e., basic training, direct duty).
    • The option to dis-enroll must occur within the first three working days of entering active duty.
    • The member’s DD Form 2366 (enrollment/ dis-enrollment form) is initiated at the Military Entrance and Processing Station (MEPS), but it must be finalized after the MGIB briefing during the first duty station processing.
  • Officers are not automatically enrolled. They must enroll/dis-enroll prior to Officer Basic Course (OBC) (within three working days of entering active duty).
  • Individuals entering active duty for the first time (excluding active duty for training (ADT)) from the Selected Reserves are not automatically enrolled. The first duty station must ensure the individual has the opportunity to enroll/dis-enroll within the first three working days.
  • Dis-enrollment is a one-time, irrevocable decision.
  • Enrollment
    • Individual signs a statement of understanding, Department of Defense Form 2366, that they agree to a $100/month reduction in pay during first 12 months of active service
    • Monies reduced are not taxable and not refundable.
    • Monies reduced cannot be stopped or suspended
Facebook Comments

Share us on

About The Author
Mark Baird

Hello, I'm Mark Baird and I founded Hire Patriots. My wife and I are 'helpers.' We are concerned about meeting the practical needs of our US veterans and their families. We began a job board for local residents to post chores that they need help with. It has been very successful. Thousands of local US Military and veterans partially or entirely support themselves from our website. We are looking for others near US Military bases who would also like to have a HirePatriots.com website for their location. Find more information about our military programs at PatrioticHearts.org. And please make a contribution of any kind. Thank you.

Follow me on
Skip to content