My name is Mark Baird. I am the founder of HirePatriots.com. I write about everything that helps US veterans, the organizations that support them, and US small businesses.
This is a quick post to tell you how to protect yourself and your personal information while using our Career Jobs Board. Recently I have received messages and emails about text messages being sent to those users who have submitted a resume to our Career Jobs Board. HirePatriots will NEVER send a text message, or call your cell phone. These are attempts at PHISHING. In case you are not aware of what that term actually means, PHISHING is an attempt to acquire personal information such as usernames, passwords, and even credit card details - to include money.
These text message SCAMS are attempts by those looking to prey upon users who are looking for a job.
At HirePatriots we take security, your job search, and veterans very seriously. In an effort to have as many employers market jobs to you, and also to have you market yourself to employers we have added the ability to have you upload a resume for use during your job search.
A few people looking to prey upon those seeking employment have presented themselves as employers and then viewed the resumes on file to gain access to email addresses and phone numbers. While we can't stop every SCAMMER from doing this, we have taken serious precautions to limit this practice.
Here is what we are doing:
- Block known bad IP Addresses
- Block access to our site from countries outside of the US that we feel present a great threat to our users
- Monitor site access 24/7 and challenge users that fall in a gray area of both country and IP address. That means if you come to our site form an IP address that has been reported before, you will have to answer a CAPTCHA page to gain access to our site.
- Constantly make sure our site is secured and up to date with all recommended patches
You can also take some common sense measures as well:
- Do not give out personal information via text messages or email
- I am not aware of any recruiter that is going to send a text message as a first form of contact. They will either call you or email you.
- No recruiter or company will ask you to create a YAHOO, MSN, or GMAIL account so you can chat with them, or talk via IM (instant message).
- Most companies will not contact you late into the evening or on the weekend.
- You will not have to pay to apply for a job, or have to send money to continue in the interview process.
Please remember that HirePatriots is here to serve as a gateway for employers looking to hire veterans and for veterans looking to find employment. We will NEVER contact you about a job. We will NEVER send you a text message about a job or an employment opportunity. We take securing our site VERY serious, but we also need your help to keep it secure. Sadly we live in a world where there are many people who look to prey upon those who are weak, ill-informed, or in an emotional state. The process of looking for a job is hard enough and we want to make sure none of our users fall victim to any type of PHISHING, SCAM, or SPAM activities that claim to come through us.
Webmaster for Hire Patriots